Friday, April 3, 2009

Old Man

the other day in Toronto I saw an old woman in a door way. She was bent over, held up by two canes and looking like she was afraid to come out into the light for fear of being blown over by a breeze. It was sad. I never got to sketch her, being once again in a rush as usual, but I came across this sketch of mine the other day of a similar old man. I can't help but feel sorry for anyone trapped by age and circumstance with only canes to hold them up in a world rushing by. Rembrandt stopped to draw these people, and gave them dignity in his paintings as prophets and sages. I have a small etching by him, a restrike I bought in Amsterdam, and when I look at it I can't help but feel awe for the power of that man and his hand's ability as well as his empathy for the poor in the doorways.

No comments: