Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Gestural Elegance of a Tree stump.

They may just be trees or stumps but for me there is as much learning in them as in the study of a leg or arm.  Beautiful form, structure, flow and rhythm. 

Years ago I would take my Sheridan Animation students to draw a beautifully gnarled rotting beech trunk. It had as much expressive gesture as the best model.

These studies were done with my Humber Animation students at the nearby Arboretum.  Same lesson to be learned by all of us.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've stumbled on your blog whilst looking for photos solely of the arm for study purposes and bewildered that hardly any exist under my keyword search. I then typed in master studies and your pictures drew me in to have a look at your blog. It is incredible! I'm going to have a real field day when I get around to really diving into your posts. Please add a follow widget so i can get notified when you update but for now I shall book mark :)